Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pumpkin Time.

Which one first? Wee B Little or Potimarron?
If you have been reading my blog, you may remember that I went a bit silly with buying seeds from Diggers last spring.

There were so many interesting varieties of all the veges that I love to grow, and some that I hadn't thought of. There were even some that I had never heard of.

So of course I had to try as many as possible. The greenhouse at work was full of my experimental crops. Seedlings were in abundance. Luckily I have an understanding boss. When they were big enough to plant out I had to dig up most of my yard, and make up some extra planter boxes to accommodate them. Carrots are growing in an old bath, capsicums in an old cabinet.....

Friends, family members and pretty much anybody that came within cooeee had excess seedlings thrust upon them. Thanks for your help everyone, hope your gardens are thriving.

There were so many lovely varieties of pumpkins to choose from. But I was strong and only bought four packets of seeds. The miniature varieties are already ripe. Tonight I picked the first one. The choice was, Potimarron or Wee B Little.

The winner was potimarron. A lovely French pumpkin with a delicious chestnuty flavoured flesh. I had a slice with my dinner steamed with a dollop of butter, salt & pepper. It was divine! 

Tomorrow I might try this,  roasted potimarron
Yep, it really is that colour. No Photoshopping.
My little buddy, Gyppie models for scale.




3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. I love pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really yummy. Just finished my first slice earlier.

      Delete
  2. Yep - pumpkin-love here, too! Hey - maybe you could try Carmel's fritata recipe (on her blog)? You could then share it with someone really nice ...who possibly has a streak of chrimson in their hair...

    ReplyDelete